Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Deaf, the Juvenile, and the Widowed

Talk about a crazy weekend filled with fulfillment, purpose, and a look into Gods heart. Friday we were in the northern part of Kenya in an area called Majengo (just outside of Kisumu). Our team had an amazing opportunity to be apart of a medical camp that served 500 people! Majority of the people were widows and orphans.

As the story continues, the building we used was built by a missionary team, and then donated. A water well was built that will serve clean water to the women and the community. And all the glass for  the windows was donated. Mama Nancy (the widow in the video) wants to take these widows who are rejected from the community, and make them into strong empowering women. She plans to have a bead and breakfast at the house, as well as a shop that will sell jewelry and clothing that the women will make.

That Friday I really felt like I was able to make a difference in the peoples life. Even though I only took their vital signs, I was able to bring Jesus into my small interactions even without being able to speak the language.

The next day we traveled to a boys detention center were we had the opportunity to tour the facility and provide basic medical services. I was able to talk to some of the boys about their lives, and they have some impacting stories. When the boys leave the detention center they leave as a better person. I wish we had better juvenile detention centers in the States. While the boys are here they get an education, trade skills, and a community that supports them. It is crazy to think that 7 years ago WorldComp came in to a slave camp of boys, and with the help of locals have turned it into something amazing. 

That following afternoon my heart was given to a group of 60+ deaf children. I want you to understand how these children are viewed here. This home receives no government assistance, they only receive 5% of the school fees from the 60+ children, and the majority have been brought in off the streets because they are not wanted. We first came on Valentines Day, bringing little heart tattoos, gummy snacks and 200 pounds of beans. To see the excitement on the faces of these children is indescribable.
     
We went back the next day to deliver bread...their excitement over a piece of bread, it was like giving a 5 year old a dollar for a lost tooth. It really just gave me a better perspective over the world. We have so much back home, and most of us are happy. But placing myself here, and seeing the excitement over one slice of bread, I realize I have a lot back home to be happy about. 
 On our drive back on Monday we did the American tourist thing and stopped at the Equator. Our group took lots of photos, and our driver even joined us! Overall it was an amazing weekend, and unfortunately this blog post can not be a good summary of all my feelings. I will say this. if you ever get an opportunity to experience something that might be out of your comfort zone, go do it! There is so much fulfillment and gratitude in serving. And maybe, just maybe, you will find your self wanting to go back again and again. I know for me, Kenya is a place that I will continue to visit throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment