Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sometimes, I wish this wasn't real

So I have really been dreading the idea of writing about this day. My friends and family would say that I am not a crier, and truth is I'm not except for when I am laughing, or really hurt. But there is a part of this world that tears open my heart and lets the tears flow freely. I do not know why, but children who have absolutely nothing, who live way below the poverty line, and have an unexplainable joy....man, that, that gets me.
A little portion of the slum 
On our way into the Kibera slums, we had to pick up 3 police officers to protect us. I had no idea what our team was getting into. Kibera is a 5 mile radius of 1.3 million people living on less than $1 a day.  Most are born in the slums, raised in the slums, married, have children, and then pass away without ever leaving the walls. I just wonder, how can people live like this, when their is so much more to life outside these walls? I know that "this is all they have ever known"... it just does not seem fair to me. Kibera just recently had water brought into the slums that most have to walk some distance to even get access to the water. A standard "house" is at MOST 10ft x 10ft, with no bathroom or running water. Rent is about 2,000KES, which is $23US. I could just keep going on about the living conditions, but I want to tell you about what we actually did there.
Living conditions 

We were greeted by a school filled with children ages 2-8. They had the most biggest smiles in the world, and were so excited to have visitors. They all gathered outside and sang the most beautiful songs (video below). Honestly, that is when I lost it. I have seen poverty, and I have seen slums that are about equal if not worse than these conditions. But the children.... it's their joy, laughter, smiles, excitement! They literally have nothing, maybe shower once a week, wear the same clothes, shoes, and mostly just get fed at school, and they are content! When was the last time I was content with nothing? When was the last time you were? I mean lets be honest, in America, and most developed countries, we always want more. Im sitting here crying right now because I'm that American girl who complains about not knowing what to wear. Or I complain that I need to shower after working out...this is a heart check for me. More of a reality check. I'm not saying I am going to go home and get rid of everything, because I am not. But I can tell you that I am going to be making a better effort at being content and happy with what I have.
Kids in line for the medical camp 

These kids are precious, and so are their families. The people who invest into this school and these kids are amazing people. I again found it hard communicating with the people, but with children sometimes just a smile and some hand gestures is all you need. I saw some very sick children, and I saw lots of healthy ones. The dynamic of each child and each person is so unique, and all of them slowly find their way into my heart. At our break I was able to go out and play with some of the kids. They all begged me to sing them a song, so I sang "I'm a little teapot" which they thought was so funny! I then asked if they knew "head, shoulders, knees, and toes", they did, so I made them sing it with me.

Being in Kibera was difficult for me emotionally, but my memories, and thoughts will forever be in my heart. My time spent with each patient was worth the emotional wave that came on me. And the time playing with each child was priceless. I really have found my calling on life. Serving the people who are forgotten, the children who are abandon, and the communities in way less than good living conditions....they are my future patients. They are the people I want to work with, to help improve their health, and to share the love that Jesus has given me.

After this day I was reminded of a verse in my devotional that I am doing. It's Isaiah 51:3
The Lord will surely comfort [you] and will look with compassion on all [your] ruins; He will make [your] deserts like Eden, [your] wastelands like the garden of the LordJoy and gladness will be found in [you], thanksgiving and the sound of singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment